Blog Archive

Friday, April 4, 2014

Socrative! ~Mrs. Cowell

DAY 2... using Socrative to assess our Social Studies unit!

Overall this was a successful day! It was a brave undertaking to use a new tool (iPad), a new website (Socrative), and a completely different form of assessment as day 2 of an iPad roll out. However, my personal goal is to enhance what I am already teaching-- without adding a new element into our day for the sake of using an iPad. I had a backup plan, so I was not feeling pressure to pull this off with my class. 
Of course having the "dream team" of Mr. Sonnenberg and Mrs. Fromen helped ease my fears too!

The students were silent while testing... all except the lovely little tinker of the iPad keys typing! We were able to work out any kinks because there were 4 adults (Mr. Sonnenberg, Mrs. Fromen, Mrs. Ruzzo, and me) to only 17 students taking the test.

Reflections/ hindsight notes:
- When I use Socrative in the future... much easier to create all multiple choice questions as it will be corrected by Socrative (I wrote 13 short answer questions-- with multiple answers being acceptable, therefore, I am still scoring these right now!). 
- I need to use Socrative Beta rather than the original version (still worked fine, but Neal says Beta is better)

Successes:
- The students successfully completed an assessment in a format that was: engaging, able to demonstrate what they know about our Social Studies lessons, and gave me immediate feedback as they were taking it!
- Mr. Sonnenberg and Mrs. Fromen were able to teach 5 students how to transport the iPads up and down the stairs safely and how to store the iPads in the cart while plugging them back in correctly... these 5 students are able to turn around and teach 5 more next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment